100-day mark since WHO received reports of first COVID-19 cases

April 10 will mark 100 days since the World Health Organization (WHO) was notified of the first COVID-19 cases.

In a media briefing, WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus spoke about the health organization’s progress in the past 100 days and their plans for the future in order to help alleviate suffering by saving lives.

When the first cases of human-to-human transmission were reported outside of China, the WHO’s counter-COVID-19 measures included a comprehensive package of guidance to countries on how to detect, test and manage potential cases.

They also published information on how to protect healthcare workers and declare a public health emergency of international concern – the organization’s highest classified level of alarm.

The health organization has worked closely with governments around the world, through their 6 regional and 150 country offices, to help them prepare their health systems for the coronavirus.

So far, more than two million personal protective equipment (PPE) items have been shipped to 133 countries, while another batch of the same amount is being prepared for shipping in the coming few weeks.

Today, 130 scientists, funders and manufacturers from around the world have signed statements to commit to working with the WHO to help develop a COVID-19 vaccine quicker.

 

More from International News

  • 99% of missiles and drones fired by Iran shot down, Israel says

    Iran launched more than 300 drones and missiles at Israel overnight, 99 per cent of which were shot down, the Israeli military said on Sunday, adding that the armed forces remained fully functional and were discussing follow-up options.

  • Indonesian landslides kill at least 14

    At least 14 people have been killed in landslides on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Sunday, with rescue efforts ongoing for those reported missing.

  • Israel says Hamas has rejected hostage, aid proposal

    Hamas has rejected the latest proposal for a deal to return Israeli hostages and Israel will continue to pursue its objectives in Gaza "with full force", Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said in a statement on Sunday.

  • Sydney stabbings not a terrorist attack, police say

    The man who fatally stabbed six people in Sydney had mental health issues in the past and there was no indication ideology was a motive in the attack in one of the city's busiest shopping centres, police said on Sunday.

Blogs