Five people are dead after a shooting in downtown Louisville, Kentucky, near its Slugger Field baseball stadium on Monday, the city's police department said.
A short while after confirming the attack, police said in a statement that the shooter had been "neutralised" and was no longer a threat, without giving further details. It was unclear whether the shooter was among the five dead.
The department said there were multiple casualties and warned people to stay away from the area. The FBI said its agents had responded to the scene.
Police activity was seen near a bank in the downtown area of the city of 625,000 people.
"I was at the stoplight, and the first thing that I saw -- there was a guy across the street at the intersection and he was lying down at the entrance to a hotel," an eyewitness told WDRB, a local Fox TV affiliate.
Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear said he was headed to the city in response to the shooting.
We are confirming reports of an active aggressor in the 300 block of East Main. Please stay out of the area. There are multiple casualties.
— LMPD (@LMPD) April 10, 2023


Airbus A320 recall disrupts Asian travel as carriers scramble to patch software
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting
Hong Kong tower fire toll rises to 128, over 200 remain missing
Ukraine's top peace negotiator quits after raid by anti-graft police
