Sultan Qaboos of Oman dies aged 79

The Diwan of the Royal Court of Oman has announced the death of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said.

In an announcement made on Saturday morning, it said "To the people of the beloved homeland in all its districts, to the Arab and Islamic nations and to the world at large. It is with hearts filled with faith in Allah and his Providence ,and with great sorrow and deep sadness- yet with complete satisfaction and absolute submission to the will of the Almighty Allah, that the Diwan of Royal Court mourns His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said, who passed away on Friday, the 14th of Jumada Al-Ula, the 10th of January 2020."

The Sultan was 79-years-old and had been the ruler of Oman since 1970. 

Oman has declared three days of mourning, with the country's flag to be flown at half-mast for the next 40 days.

His Highness Sheikh Mohamed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai posted a message of condolence for the people of Oman, saying the Sultan's "loyalty, love and wisdom" will be missed. 

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces has expressed his condolences saying that "Oman and the Arab and Islamic nations have lost a wise leader."


Sultan Qaboos had no children.

The Basic Law of the Sultanate of Oman, which was established in 1996, says that the ruling family chooses a successor within three days of the throne being vacated. 

More from International News

  • 99% of missiles and drones fired by Iran shot down, Israel says

    Iran launched more than 300 drones and missiles at Israel overnight, 99 per cent of which were shot down, the Israeli military said on Sunday, adding that the armed forces remained fully functional and were discussing follow-up options.

  • Indonesian landslides kill at least 14

    At least 14 people have been killed in landslides on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Sunday, with rescue efforts ongoing for those reported missing.

  • Israel says Hamas has rejected hostage, aid proposal

    Hamas has rejected the latest proposal for a deal to return Israeli hostages and Israel will continue to pursue its objectives in Gaza "with full force", Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said in a statement on Sunday.

  • Sydney stabbings not a terrorist attack, police say

    The man who fatally stabbed six people in Sydney had mental health issues in the past and there was no indication ideology was a motive in the attack in one of the city's busiest shopping centres, police said on Sunday.

Blogs