Suu Kyi rejects Rohingya genocide claims at UN court

KOEN VAN WEEL / ANP / AFP

Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi has rejected allegations that her country’s armed forces committed genocide against the Rohingya minority.

Addressing the UN International Court of Justice (ICJ) on Wednesday, she defended the Myanmar military and called the allegations as "incomplete and misleading".

Suu Kyi explained that a military-led "clearance operation" in western Rakhine State in August 2017 was a counterterrorism response to coordinated Rohingya militant attacks against dozens of police stations.

While the leader conceded that disproportionate military force may have been used and civilians killed, she said the acts did not constitute genocide.

She faced three days of hearings at the UN court following a lawsuit brought by Gambia last month accusing Myanmar of violating the 1948 Genocide Convention.

More than 730,000 Rohingya fled Myanmar to Bangladesh after the military launched its crackdown.

More from International News

  • Afghanistan says Pakistan strikes kill and injure dozens

    Pakistan said it launched strikes on targets in Afghanistan after blaming recent suicide bombings, including assaults during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from its neighbour's territory.

  • Police officer killed, dozens injured in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv

    One police officer was killed and 24 other people were injured after several explosive devices detonated at midnight in Lviv in western Ukraine, the National Police said on Sunday.

  • Trump pivots to new 15% global tariff after Supreme Court setback

    President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will raise a temporary tariff from 10 per cent to 15 per cent on US imports from all countries, the maximum level allowed under the law, after the US Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff programme. The move came less than 24 hours after Trump announced a 10% across-the-board tariff on Friday after the court's decision. The ruling found the president had exceeded his authority when he imposed an array of higher rates under an economic emergency law. The new levies are grounded in a separate but untested law, known as Section 122, that al

  • Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

    Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

Blogs