Twitter to let some employees to work from home permanently

iStock [illustration]

Twitter has told most of its employees that they can work from home permanently even after the threat of COVID-19 is over.

In an email, Chief Executive Officer Jack Dorsey said employees could continue working from home indefinitely.

The social media company said it was unlikely the company would reopen offices or allow most business travel until September, with no in-person company events for the rest of the year.

"We were uniquely positioned to respond quickly and allow folks to work from home given our emphasis on decentralisation and supporting a distributed workforce capable of working from anywhere," a Twitter spokesperson said.

A minority of Twitter staff, whose work demands them to be in the office, would still need to come in.  

It comes after Facebook and Google announced work-from-home plans for most of their employees until the end of this year.

More from International News

  • 99% of missiles and drones fired by Iran shot down, Israel says

    Iran launched more than 300 drones and missiles at Israel overnight, 99 per cent of which were shot down, the Israeli military said on Sunday, adding that the armed forces remained fully functional and were discussing follow-up options.

  • Indonesian landslides kill at least 14

    At least 14 people have been killed in landslides on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Sunday, with rescue efforts ongoing for those reported missing.

  • Israel says Hamas has rejected hostage, aid proposal

    Hamas has rejected the latest proposal for a deal to return Israeli hostages and Israel will continue to pursue its objectives in Gaza "with full force", Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said in a statement on Sunday.

  • Sydney stabbings not a terrorist attack, police say

    The man who fatally stabbed six people in Sydney had mental health issues in the past and there was no indication ideology was a motive in the attack in one of the city's busiest shopping centres, police said on Sunday.